Psychological assessment and evaluation may provide valuable insight into thought processes and emotions, and the related impact on overall functioning in life. A psychological assessment may assist in identifying strengths and weaknesses, while providing recommendations about how to be the most successful in many aspects of life.
Dr. Rapkoch specializes in assessment and evaluation with children, adolescents, and young adults. Dr. Rapkoch conducts psychological evaluations in the following areas:
- Clarifying diagnosis and level of functioning
- Identifying cognitive and emotional strengths and challenges
- Assessing factors affecting ability to learn
- Evaluating need for academic accommodations in school
- Updating documentation for academic accommodations in higher education
- Seeking application for SSI/SSDI
- Clarifying treatment, education, or case management plans and recommendations
- Estimating risk and protective factors related to sexual behavior problems
- Evaluating functioning in individuals charged with criminal offenses
What to expect
If you are interested in receiving an evaluation, you will go through four primary steps:
- Initial contact to discuss services and fees, and to schedule appointment
- Interview with you and possibly with other individuals who have helpful information for your evaluation (e.g. parents, teachers, medical doctor, mental health professionals)
- Session/s to administer evaluation measures (may occur on the same day as you complete the interview)
- Feedback session upon completion of the report in which the findings are discussed with you and you receive a copy of the report (Please note: In certain cases, if Dr. Rapkoch has been hired by someone other than you–such as by an attorney or a caseworker–you may not receive direct feedback nor a copy of the report. If this is the case, Dr. Rapkoch will discuss it with you during your initial contact.)
Evaluations vary in length and number of sessions required depending on the nature of the evaluation.
Please see the Forms & Downloads page for the necessary documents to bring to your appointment.
Fees and Insurance
The cost of an evaluation varies depending on the nature of the evaluation and is based on an hourly rate of $160. The cost of the evaluation includes time spent interviewing you and other relevant individuals; reviewing records or documentation; administering the testing measures; scoring the measures; writing the report; and providing you (or another appropriate party, such as an attorney or caseworker) with feedback. Upon initial contact you will be informed of the estimated cost of the evaluation. The estimated fee is due in full at the time of the first appointment unless you and Dr. Rapkoch have made other arrangements in advance. Remaining charges beyond the estimated fee will be due at the time of the feedback session unless you and Dr. Rapkoch have made other arrangements.
Dr. Rapkoch is an in-network provider for Aetna and is assessment provider for DMAP. Dr. Rapkoch does not bill other insurance companies directly and you are responsible for payment in full. She will provide you with the appropriate documentation to submit to your insurance company for reimbursement upon completion of the evaluation. It is your responsibility to coordinate authorization for repayment from your insurance company prior to the evaluation. Dr. Rapkoch cannot guarantee that your insurance company will reimburse you for the cost of the evaluation; the full cost of the evaluation will be your responsibility in the event that your insurance company does not provide reimbursement.
If you think you may have trouble paying your bills on time, please discuss this with Dr. Rapkoch. Dr. Rapkoch will make every reasonable effort to negotiate a payment plan to resolve past due balances. However, if those balances continue to go unpaid, a 3rd party collection agency may be used.
Please provide a minimum of 48-hour notice if you need to cancel or reschedule your evaluation. Be aware that it may be a number of weeks before your appointment can be rescheduled.